Eco-Friendly Dinnerware Choices
by Vivian Nelson Melle
The gorgeous holiday feast has been planned, but what will you serve your meal on? The holidays are a great time for families and friends to come together and enjoy conversation and good times and your dinnerware can actually spark some great conversations about being eco-conscious.
Here are some great eco-friendly dinnerware choices for those who are avid environmentalists or those just venturing into the world of green living.
1. Traditional Place Setting
There's something so elegant about a traditional place setting, especially one with familial significance. Having Grandma's China grace the holiday table brings an element of comfort that disposable ware will never acquire. The one question becomes how to clean the dishes. If you have an older dishwasher than hand washing is the way to go. Enlist the help of guests and you'll make memories while cleaning up after the big meal. If you have children than your little helper can earn a piece of holiday dessert. Newer dishwashers actually use less water and soap so the the electricity is the only thing you are looking at. To spend time with loved ones, we can let it slide especially after keeping disposable ware off the table.
2. Compostable Dinnerware
There are so many varieties of compostable dinnerware it can become overwhelming. There are those made from corn, fallen leaves, palm leaves and even sugarcane. These are a good choice for those not wanting to deal with dishes after cooking up a holiday meal, but who also realize the hardship of disposable plates on Mother Earth. They are sturdy and hold up well to hearty and even juicy meals. There is still some question regarding how quickly they compost, but they do indeed break down over time. Those with a more fibrous appearance seem to break down more readily and also seem the most interesting in appearance.
3. Chinet Classic White
If you are on a budget and just can't fathom washing the dishes, Chinet Classic White is still on the green spectrum. The company uses 100 percent pre-consumer recycled material. Chinet also suggests their Classic White line actually can help gardens grow when thrown into your home's garden compost bin. Obviously not as green as your traditional dinnerware, these items are a good choice for the person who stills holds an unhealthy addiction with styrofoam dinnerware. Chinet is a way to painlessly wean the average household off of traditional disposable dinnerware.Reprinted with permission from Green Living Ideas
World Green Top News
- Testing a New Dynamic Solar Facade
- Joshua Tree Gets a New Desert Prefab
- Plugwise Eliminates Excess Energy Use
- Ahead of Schedule, An LED Bulb for us All
- Community Solar Programs Let Renters Share The Power
- Simple Green Harpoon House in Oregon
- Dad Was Right About Those Lights
- Gary Chang's Sliding Wall Apartment Is An Eco-Friendly 24 Rooms! (VIDEO)
- Who Wins in the Home Star Program? GridPoint, Big Box Retailers
- Seeking Existing Home Energy Efficiency
- Tupperware Brands Partners with American Red Cross To Assist Disaster Relief 24 May 2013 | 8:40 am
- Fazoli's Kicks Off Breadsticks For Hunger Tour 24 May 2013 | 7:45 am
- Media Alert: International Diaspora Alliance Launches Diasporta To Build Sport Infrastructure And Communities Within Developing World 24 May 2013 | 7:30 am
- Millions of Consumers Demand Solution to Human Rights Violations in the DRC 24 May 2013 | 7:20 am
- Rebuilding a Primary Health Care System in Rural Mexico 24 May 2013 | 7:00 am