Greenpeace Campaign Calls for Energized, "Badass" Politicians to Fight CO2
Edward Flattau: GOP's Renewable Fiction
Support for Continued Use of LEED in US Military
The LEED green building certification program created by the US Green Building Council has become something of a political football for the past several years. But a recent report from the National Research Council, as well as analysis from the Department of Defense, show that the military should use LEED, despite political pressure opposing it.
Congress has been explicitly hostile to LEED in recent years, with the program specifically called out in the Congressional Prohibition on Use of Funds for LEED Gold or Platinum Certification, which states that "No funds authorized to be appropriated by this Act or otherwise made available for the Department of Defense for fiscal year 2012 may be obligated or expended for achieving any LEED gold or platinum certification."
According to Building Green, "A long-awaited report from the National Research Council gives the nod to LEED Silver ratings "or equivalent" for military buildings. The report looked at a variety of methods of comparing costs and benefits and ultimately confirmed that LEED Silver certification is the preferred model for limiting costs and maximizing benefits."
The military is the largest single consumer of energy in the country. It also controls more square footage of buildings than any other organization. So having a cleaner, more efficient military is not a small matter.
Previously on EcoGeek: US Military Embracing Green Energy
image: US Archives
via: Building Green
The News reporter receives award
The News reporter Jan Khaskheli received an award in recognition of his story for the protection of mangrove forests along the city coastline.
On the occasion of the screening of a documentary ‘Murder of Mystic’ made by young moviemaker Khalid Hassan, the Pakistan Fisherfolk Forum (PFF), recognising stories in the print media and documentaries by TV channels, awarded shields to journalists.
Those who received awards include Shazia Hassan and Bhagwandas of Dawn, Amar Guriro of Pakistan Today, Mumtaz Shar of KTN TV and Gulshan Shaikh of Sindh TV. Secretary Environment Mir Hussain Ali gave away the Annual Mangrove Awards. The aim is to further embolden writers, poets, artists and environmental activists to pursue their eco-endeavours.
Abu Wada, folksinger from the fishing community, also received an award as a token of encouragement and motivation.
The documentary focused on the struggle launched by fishermen to protect mangroves and the sacrifice by two PFF leaders Abdul Ghani and Haji Abu Bakar, who fought against the criminal activities of the land mafia along a 129-kilometre extended strip of the Karachi coast.
The ceremony attracted the KPT, EPA and other organisations working on environmental protection.
- Adam Lowry: Don't Fix the Blame, Fix the Problem
- Wendy Keefover-Ring: The Ugly Cost of Killing
- WikiLeaks: Dalai Lama Says Climate Change Should Be Focus In Tibet, Not Politics
- Fred Krupp: The New Path Forward on Climate Change
- Tea Partiers Protest Clean Water Rules Meant To Prevent Bladder Cancer
- Bikes and Streetcars Under Threat As The Suburban Car Loving Politicians Fight Back
- Does the RES stand a chance?
- Carly Fiorina was for climate and energy legislation before she was against it
- The Climate Post: Climate Bill Finally Dead Enough to be Fondly Remembered in Series of Keepsake Dag
- BP report makes you wonder: This is ‘safety first’?
- Florida governor’s race: Sink vs. Scott
- Live chat with Bill McKibben
- BP report says there’s plenty of blame to spread around for Gulf explosion
- The climate bill is dead. Long live the climate bill!
- The way forward after the Senate’s climate failure
- As energy use goes, so goes the economy
- Why did the climate bill fail?
- U.S. faces climate-driven water shortages
- Can the renewable electricity standard be saved?
- Businesses & Consumers Just Beginning to Recognize Economic Cost of Biodiversity Loss
Page 1 of 26
World Green Top News
- Testing a New Dynamic Solar Facade
- Joshua Tree Gets a New Desert Prefab
- Plugwise Eliminates Excess Energy Use
- Ahead of Schedule, An LED Bulb for us All
- Community Solar Programs Let Renters Share The Power
- Simple Green Harpoon House in Oregon
- Dad Was Right About Those Lights
- Gary Chang's Sliding Wall Apartment Is An Eco-Friendly 24 Rooms! (VIDEO)
- Who Wins in the Home Star Program? GridPoint, Big Box Retailers
- Seeking Existing Home Energy Efficiency
- Venture Inside the Leading Compliance Platform - Source Intelligence 17 May 2013 | 9:05 am
- AOL Monster Help Day 2013 17 May 2013 | 8:15 am
- 5 Necessary Steps to Better Integrated Reporting AND a More Sustainable Company 17 May 2013 | 8:05 am
- Economic Losses from Disasters Underestimated, ‘Out of Control’ 17 May 2013 | 8:00 am
- Living the Mission: Connecting People, Purpose & Performance 17 May 2013 | 7:45 am